ER#6(0527)

 'Yes, sir, I have found you at last,' I said. 'I will never leave you again.' Then I told Mr Rochester my story.

 'Why did you leave your cousins, Jane?' Mr Rochester asked. 'Why did you come back to me? I am blind. I have only one hand.'

 'I will take care of you, Edward,' I said.

 'But I don't want a servant,' Mr Rochester replied. 'I want a wife.'

 'You will have a wife, Edward,' I said. 'I will be your wife. I will marry you. I love you very much at Thornfield Hall. Now I love you more.'

I read the book called "Jane Eyre". Time is the 1830s. Place is the north of England. Main character is Jane Eyre. She was not pretty but she was clever. Her parents were dead and she spend her childhood her aunt's house. However her aunt's wife did something mean to her. So she decided go to the school for poor children. When she grown up, she became a governess. Governesses are women who live in the house of rich families to teach their children. She had many difficulties. The author is Charlotte Brontes. She wrote this book with the name, Currer Bell in 1847. That because woman's stories were not often published in 1850s. So, those who read Currer Bell's book were surprised that the good writer was woman. Also, people who read "Jane Eyre" was surprised. Women did not talk to men in this way then. In this story, Charlotte wrote about her own life. 

 I didn't know the story and the author. Through this book, I can understand situation of the 1830s. I thought the author wanted to know about the life of poor woman and to assert the right of women. If you are interested in the author and this story, please read it.

 

コメント

人気の投稿